If you’re planning to start looking for eternity rings, it makes sense to think about what you want and how you’re going to go about buying it before you start. Depending on how long you’ve been married, it may be some time since you last went jewellery shopping, and you may need some expert help and advice to put you on the right track.
Platinum Eternity rings – things to rememberAn eternity ring is a financial commitment as well as an emotional one, so you want to make sure you’re getting the very best for your money. We can’t all afford to spend thousands on the best diamonds, but we can make sure that we’re looking at quality eternity rings that we can afford:
- Budget – the first thing to do is to decide how much you can spend. Eternity rings come in all price ranges. It’s the quality of the metal used in the band and the stones used in the setting that makes the difference when it comes to price. If you know how much you can afford, you can start to look at the eternity rings in your price range and make informed decisions about the type of ring you want to buy.
- Band – eternity rings, like other rings, use different metals for the band. Platinum is currently very popular, not only because it looks great, especially with a diamond setting, but because it is extremely strong, so can handle the rigours of everyday wear. You can also get bands in gold and silver, although silver is less popular.
- Stones – traditionally, eternity rings are set with diamonds – the most popular precious stone. Diamonds for eternity rings can be cut in several different ways, depending on the setting that is being used, so look at the different cuts so that you can see how the stones will fit together in the band and the overall look that the ring will have when it’s worn. You may also want to look at eternity rings that use other precious stones such as rubies or emeralds, particularly if you want the eternity ring to match an engagement ring setting.
- Settings – a full eternity ring has stones set around the entire band, but not many people choose this type of ring because half the setting is invisible when the ring is being worn. Instead, most people opt for a half eternity, where the stones are set around half of the band, making a beautiful, yet comfortable ring. Of course, these rings are also usually better priced, because they use half the number of precious stones.
- Size – if you’re buying an eternity ring as a surprise gift, you’ll need to make sure that the size is right. One of the easiest ways to do this is to take your partner’s wedding or engagement ring into a jewellers and get it sized. You can then order your eternity ring with a reasonable amount of confidence. If you’re worried, order a size bigger because it can always be re-sized if necessary.