Caring for Platinum
Believe it or not… platinum does scratch
All precious metals can scratch, and platinum is no exception. However, the scratch on platinum is merely a displacement of the metal and none of its volume is lost. Over time platinum develops a natural patina, which many people find just as attractive as a polished finish.
Caring for your platinum ring
Follow these simple instructions to maintain your platinum ring’s finish and lifetime enjoyment:
- Store pieces separately in a jewellery box or chamois bag so they don't get scratched by other items of jewellery.
- Remove your platinum ring when doing manual work.
- Don't handle bleach or harsh chemicals when wearing your platinum wedding ring. Although they won't hurt the platinum, chemicals may discolour some of the softer gemstones.
- Clean your platinum ring periodically in the same way you clean other fine jewellery - using a pre-packaged jewellery cleaner or by soaking it in a mild solution of soap and warm water then gently rubbing it with a soft cloth.
- Have your platinum ring professionally examined once a year to check that all the stone settings are all still secure.
- If looked after properly your platinum ring should not need to be repaired. For resizing. polishing and cleaning look for a qualified jeweller with a platinum trained bench worker.
Can I wear a platinum ring if I have sensitive skin?
Because of its purity platinum jewellery is hypoallergenic, therefore ideal for sensitive skin.